Today’s question is “How to stop self-doubt?”
Does it stop you becoming the successful person you want to be? It’s a great question- it really does chew away at your confidence, you start procrastinating and you don’t do anything. It’s a horrible spiral.
What’s Causing Self-doubt?
- Self-doubt is your thoughts – it’s a habit of thought – it’s a groove of a thought.
- What do thoughts of self-belief sound like? They sound like – I can do this, I can learn how to do this, I’ve learnt something before, so I know I can do it again. I always try my best, I’ll figure it out. These are the thoughts of self-belief.
- It’s difficult to stop self-doubt but what you can do is start a different trail of thought, another pattern of thought. It’s like you are driving down the motorway at 100mph – you can’t suddenly slam on the breaks and do an emergency stop- it’s not possible.
- But what you can do is swerve. Instead of trying to stop this train of thought, you steer it onto another one.
- You need a bit of a brake to stop that because this can really take over and it can be difficult….. you need to change gears, you need to take a deep breath and listen to your breathing.
- Take 2-3 conscious breaths, listen to your breathing, quieten down your thoughts – now you can shift gears and move to the other lane where you start thinking thoughts of small wins.
10 Small Wins
- Think back to 10 small wins you have had over the past year better still write them down on a piece of paper. You will probably find the first 5 quite easy – for the next 5 you may have to go a bit more granular.
- Even those small granular wins count, those things you take for granted, it all helps. They all help you become the successful person you want to be -it all starts with teeny tiny wins.
- When you think of those 10 small wins, you start seeing yourself, reminding yourself….We have a tendency to think more about the negative thoughts, the things we did badly more than we do the positive.
- If you are doing something you haven’t done before, to create that certainty, faith, trust look back at what you have done, what you have had to overcome, wins that you had to do. YOU did that, it gives you a level of certainty that you will figure it out. YOU will find the resources. YOU know that you will find and ask the right people to get it done in the future. 🙂