Scared of being seen stopping you from creating and sharing your magic with the world?
How do I overcome my fear of being seen? Some of my coaching clients have asked me this question.
- They may have their own business, could be self-employed or an entrepreneur, or have a personal brand that they are trying to develop – maybe it will help them get a new job, get a pay rise. They want to get noticed so they can grow their impact in the world.
- But they have a fear of being seen, this fear stops them sharing their value, from sharing their knowledge from sharing their experience with the world. Maybe they want to write a blog, do social media, maybe they want to speak, write a book, whatever it might be.
This fear is stopping them from doing it – What is this fear?
- This fear is of being judged, a fear of who am I. What if I get criticized? What if someone more knowledgeable says you’re full of rubbish?
- I feel this too! When I wrote my previous book “Grow your sales do what you love” I had exactly the same thing. I will share with you how I overcome this!
Here’s what I do….When that fear haunts me, as I write my second book, and fear stops me creating my dreams….
Think of one person
- I think of 1 person I know who will get value from what I’m sharing – just 1 person, I always have 1 person in mind because I know from my coaching, my workshops and the various speaking gigs that I do – that someone has asked me this question.
- I close my eyes and picture that person, I imagine them as I write/create just for them. Think of a friend, a colleague, a loved one who will get value from what you have to share – Just do it for them!
The spotlight effect
- When we have done something wrong – or when we have done something good we have this perception that more people notice it than actually do.
- It’s the ego! We think everyone is thinking about us but that’s not true – everyone is thinking about themselves and worrying, and being concerned about what people are thinking about them!
- If those thoughts creep in – Who am I? Everyone else has already done it. How can I be different? Remember – No-one has walked in your shoes, no-one has trodden your path – NOBODY.
- Everything you write/create is unique and there is always space for uniqueness in this world. There is always room for what you have to say in this world because it hasn’t been said.
- There’s a reason you have been blessed with this idea, this itch you want to scratch, and it’s for you to express it. Otherwise, what is the point of living?