Too many things to do and you’re feeling overwhelmed? Here’s how to overcome overwhelm in 3 simple steps
- The reason why overwhelm happens is you have a list of things to do, events coming up, goals to meet, people to see, things to follow up…….all these things are swimming around in your head creating a constant stream of stressful thinking.
- You feel stressed, your heart feels the stress, you have knots in your stomach – you will feel stress in whichever way it manifests for you.
- Negative feelings and paralysis mean you end up getting nothing done.
Create a gap in your thoughts
- The first step is to create a gap in those overwhelming thoughts. You can do this with a simple mindfulness exercise – just listen to your breathing – take two deep conscious breaths.
- You may prefer to go for a walk, pet your dog or cat or your baby – You just need to do something that gets you out of your head and into the present moment.
Brain-dump your to-do’s
- The second step is to get a good old-fashioned pen and paper make three columns. In the first write “Today”, in the second column “This week” in the third column put “1 – 3 months” and now “brain dump” all those things that need to be done into the relevant columns on that piece of paper.
Do one thing right now
- The third step is – What do you have to do right now? What can you do right now to start tackling one of those challenges?
- When you tick the first job off you create a little dopamine rush.
That’s it! You take those thoughts out of your head and dump them on paper and you do one thing that you can do right now.The only time you can do anything of use is right now Click To Tweet